Having a child with a sweet spirit like Gideon's is like having your very own cheering squad. In his almost two years of life, I don't think I have ever fallen short in his eyes. I am larger than life. I am 'george-us'. I 'parkle'. My kisses heal boo-boos. My embrace quiets tantrums and calms fears. My body was his home and he nursed at my breast. I gave him LIFE. He loves me so....
This particular night, I am trying on clothes, getting ready to go to a meeting. As a mama and preschool teacher, I don't often dress "up". I fix my hair and put on make-up everyday. I am presentable. But I don't always 'sparkle'. My everyday life doesn't call for sparkle.
But tonight, I am going to be talking in front of a group of people. I try on several shirts, not aware that Gideon is watching my every move. The first shirt is a light pink tank top, covered in sequins. The next one is grey with ruching, and the third is teal. I try them all on with my skirt and then with a jacket. I decide on the grey shirt and sit down to put my heels on.
Suddenly, Gideon, who has been playing quietly, says "NO NO NO Mama!". He brings me the pink sequined tank and hands it to me and says, "Mama parkle". So I slip into it and turn to him. "Is this what you want honey?"
Gideon hugs my leg and looks up at me and says, "Mama parkle. Mama george-us!"
My heart melts and tears spring to my eyes.
Isn't this the cry of all of our hearts? To know that we are SEEN. That we are beautiful. What a precious gift my son gave me that night. In the wear and tear of day to day, I was forgetting my sparkle.
I was made to sparkle. To stand out. To SHINE. It is my duty and honor to sparkle for my son. To be his light. To reflect His Light.
1 Peter 3:4
GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
4 Rather, beauty is something internal that can’t be destroyed. Beauty expresses itself in a gentle and quiet attitude which God considers precious.
Proverbs 31:28-30
AMP
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed (happy, fortunate, and to be envied); and her husband boasts of and praises her, [saying],29 Many daughters have done virtuously, nobly, and well [with the strength of character that is steadfast in goodness], but you excel them all.30 Charm and grace are deceptive, and beauty is vain [because it is not lasting], but a woman who reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord, she shall be praised!
Thank you Lord, for giving me just enough light for this step...
Proverbs 31:28-30
AMP
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed (happy, fortunate, and to be envied); and her husband boasts of and praises her, [saying],29 Many daughters have done virtuously, nobly, and well [with the strength of character that is steadfast in goodness], but you excel them all.30 Charm and grace are deceptive, and beauty is vain [because it is not lasting], but a woman who reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord, she shall be praised!
Thank you Lord, for giving me just enough light for this step...
No comments:
Post a Comment